"If you look into the past of a successful painter you will find square miles of canvas"
-Charles Hawthorne

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Challenge Begins

I couldn't resist joining this challenge. Over on Wet Canvas in the pastel forum, Deborah Secor has challenged us to join her students as they try to paint 100 variations on the same composition. You may have seen the recent Pastel Journal article about artist Marla Bagetta and her 100 paintings. She is the inspiration for the challenge. Read more about it here. I started by choosing a simple composition and doing some notans or value sketches to see if this will be an interesting enough composition to paint many times. I decided that it was better as a 5x7 rather than a square. I plan to devote no more than 30 minutes for each painting. I'll post my first one later.

No comments:

Post a Comment